Monday, June 4, 2012

Make your resume stand out



Hey guys,
It's been a while!
Do you struggle making your resume stand out? It's actually very easy. Just switch on your creative side, it's much easier than it looks :)
I have two resumes that I'd like to show you guys.
The first one is my resume I used when I was searching for a Barista position.
 I received 2 phone calls out of the 5 resumes I turned in. Only one of the locations I visited was from Craiglist (and it wasn't one I got a call back from).
Yes, most of the time luck will be on your side. BUT it does help if you:

1. Step out of the Craiglist world and drop off applications in person even if there is no "now hiring" sign. Many times employers don't want people dropping their resumes off like flies, and this usually happens by posting a "help wanted" sign.
Yes, the economy is hard now, but if we always used that excused well we'd all be out of jobs because we never went out to look for one....very hard....
If they like your resume enough, they will keep it on file. Simple as that.
2. Pick a specific job you'd like to aim for, and write your resume to suit that position. 
***
Being specific in your search (if you use your experience to your advantage) can be better than being broad. Whether it's experience in school if you're a student, or your experience as a volunteer. Pursue what you know how to do. People hate on fast food jobs, and think they're easy to get. But you're going to be more considered for another fast food location if you've worked at one before.
Don't try to sell yourself as something you are not,
 and don't worry about the 2 week random job you had.
I made sure to emphasize the positions of Barista and Manager to present the point that I have experience in those fields. I could have added other jobs that I have had, but since they have little do with working as a Barista they didn't need to be emphasized. Take in mind there is a tiny gap between May and October of 2009. If I added the random freelance work I did, my resume would look cluttered!
Simple is best in certain positions.
 Never be afraid to take a chance, but adding a little something to your resume that will set you apart.
Add Flair and Individuality to your resume to the best of your ability. Chances are your resume is either going to blend in with the 100's of other resumes. If you add a little of yourself to it, you might find an employer who decides your resume is worth reading if it looks a little different than the others.
When I worked at the pet store, and had to respond to Craiglists emails there was literally HUNDREDS of resumes. But I still remember there was one with a Sunflower picture on it, one with a bunny picture, and one with an image of the person themselves. As far as putting your picture on a resume, unless you're an artist and draw it on, or you're a photographer and do self-portraits I don't recommend it. It actually made me feel very uncomfortable as an employer (of a minimum wage paying job though) to see pictures of kids on their resume. At this point, you're trying much too hard in an obvious fashion. 


Here is my most current resume. I want to pursue a Marketing career, but I really have no paper (degree) to show my abilities. My resume needs to do this for me.
****
Although it may not seem like it, my resume reflects a lot about my personality. I use fonts when I feel them appropriate to emphasize what I believe is important about me. I love a touch of color, hence the gradient touch. My name is in the same font, but slightly different.  I want to show every area of work that I have touched that would catch an employer's eye if it was for a Marketing related field. I chose to use arrows in my resume for simplicity, but to represent ongoing knowledge.
They way I see it
If your resume catches your own eye, you've done your job.

Definition of Resume
A resume is a written document that lists your work experience, skills, and educational background. It is used as a marketing tool for job seekers.

IT'S A MARKETING TOOL. 
Now go out there, or "x" out of my blog and start typing your resume. Make it original, make it you. There are plenty of references online that you can look at to create yours. Just make sure to keep it realistic, and don't LIE. Your chances might increase for a job, but once you're in that position your going to be out of luck (or fired) if you can't show those skills. 
Also, HAVE SOME CONFIDENCE. 
Don't show your resume to someone who you know is going to overcritique it and bash your self confidence. 
Best of Luck everybody!
Feel free to email me if you have any questions or need some extra tips!
robotchickmp@gmail.com

Remember:

To each their own. 

*I have deleted my references, but 3 is a good idea. 



No comments:

Post a Comment